Can we talk about the wildlife? It's like watching the freakin' nature channel in your own backyard. I know it IS Africa and all, but I didn't expect to see such varieties of wildlife roaming free in civilized areas! I have yet to see most of the animals, but from what I have seen, it's crazy! I feel like such a tourist every time I stop the car to get another picture. So far with my own eyes I have seen:
Baboons:
~Here's one big guy I met crossing the highway the other day.~
The threat of baboons is probably the most real and problematic animal issue here. Baboons are extremely clever. If you throw something at them to make them go away, they will simply pick it up and throw it right back at you to make you go away! They are big and they are MEAN! They can open car doors as well as windows. You must keep all doors and windows on homes and cars completely closed and locked at all times, or if you do keep them open they must have "burglar" bars on them to prevent entry. There are road signs everywhere warning you of the areas that baboons generally hang out in and there are even paid people that "travel" with the groups of baboons! Baboons generally travel in large "troops", even up to hundreds in the same group, so you can imagine the havoc they can wreak! Humans assigned to travel with the groups are called "baboon troopers" and their job is to signal to cars that baboons are currently present in the immediate area to prevent road accidents. The troopers can also prevent the baboons from breaking into homes, damaging property or making messes of trash and what not through the use of water guns, as baboons hate water. Or you can be like my car guy Archie, who keeps a slingshot and a paintball gun handy to shoot the baboons away from his house & garden. He assures me that he is a very good shot, so I'm not to worry! I hope I never have to find out how good of a shot I am!
~lizards~
~ elephants ~
~ ostriches ~
Ostriches here are neither rare nor exotic, as we Americans would tend to think they are. Here they are no different than cattle, specifically raised as a mass market food source. And I must say, they taste just like steak. Good steak.
~ really big jellyfish ~
These jellyfish and the great white shark attacks here are exactly why I'm not a huge fan of deep water ocean swimming. I like to see the bottom of what I swim in, thank you very much.
-----------------------------------------------------------
~In this open space you may mentally
insert a photo of large long black snake
which I chose to run away from rather
than sticking around for a photo-op.
You are welcome~
-------------------------------------------------------------
~seals~
~penguins~
Peacocks also roam free here and I've gotten to see lots of those as well! Whale spotting season doesn't start until later in the year, so hopefully I'll have some good shots of them later. Let's hope I never have the chance to see the multitude of Cape Cobras, poisonous scorpions, Puffers, huge venomous spiders, or a Great White Sharks. I'm totally fine to go home without having met those species anyway.
That's all for today from Amy's African Animal Association. Check back some other time for a "4A" update. It's like 4H only better :)


Did you know that Baboons like french fries? I had a run in with one in Ghana. Needless to say, I didn't fight him for them, I just ordered another plate :). I'm hoping you'll get some pictures of those poisonous things before I come down so i know what to avoid. All the good nature shows do.....
Wow!! I never imagined that baboons would be such a problem. You've got the Nashville zoo there everyday.
1. I am jealous that you've seen penguins. So on my life list.
2. had NO IDEA about the babboons!
3. We dove with some (small) jellies last week! it was a bit creepy! although the sea snakes were also not my favorite. I'm with you on the Great Whites, though!
4. love ya. miss ya. that's all :)
5. ....except, can you send me an ostrich steak?