• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

-Boomslang & Back-

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I crawled through an African cave today and lived to tell about it. No really, I did. It was really, really dark, really wet, and very scary.

And I don't do caves.

Just ask my Dad about that one time in the Catacombs...

This all started when my so-called "friends" Nadine & Stephen met me for hiking on Sunday afternoon. Since our original route did not allow for dogs on the trail, they suggested that we amend our plan and head closer to home to hike Boomslang, in Kalk Bay.

"Aww, how fun! Sunday afternoon hiking close to home, with good friends! What more could a girl ask for?" (Insert sarcasm here.)

Allow me to narrate the photos of our treacherous journey gone all wrong...
Stephen, my former friend

 Billy the dog & Nadine 

Billy and I are still speaking. I wish I could say the same about Nadine.

"What a gorgeous hike! I love my friends!"

I would be retracting that statement shortly, but how could I even start to suspect that anything could go wrong with all this prettiness dulling my sense of impending doom and destruction?
  "Look I can see my house!" 

"Hi, my name is Amy and I like bright shiny pretty things!"
I still look naively happy in this picture because I clearly have no idea what's in store for me just around the corner. 

"Muahaahahhaaaahaa!"
Nadine looks happy in this photo because she secretly is harboring a devious plan to make me cry.

I should have known that this hike was taking a turn for the worse, when I started seeing trees like this one. The Princess Bride anyone?
After losing the trail several times, and some serious rock climbing, we finally found our way to the entrance of the promised Boomslang caves. 
I know, I know, you are thinking, "What? It doesn't look that bad!" But I promise you, it only looks this good as long as you can still see the light. 

So into the Boomslang caves we go... 
"Yay! I'm in a cave! Isn't this fun?" 

That photo was taken right before Nadine decided to tell me, "Oh by the way, the name of the cave? Boomslang? "Boom" means "tree" and "slang" means "snake."

"What!?! Tree snakes? Tree snakes in caves? Caves with snakes in trees? Snake trees in caves? Cave snake trees?" You lost me at snake...

We had only gotten a few feet into the total-pitch-black-darkness when my feet hit ankle deep water.

"Uh-oh. Really? You want me to keep moving forward through mossy-wet-slippery-underwater-cave-river crossings?"

I was starting to feel my heartbeat pounding in my head and all I kept seeing in my mind was the scene from Indiana Jones with the rats... (Insert involuntary shudder.)

And do you know what ALWAYS happens in caves in movies? Only bad things happen. No good things ever happen. Ever. I mean, have you ever seen a movie that takes place in a cave in which butterflies-land-on-pretty-people-kissing-while-baby-unicorns-frolick-nearby-with-cute-cuddly-kittens?

"No!?! You haven't!?!" Me either. The only scenes I've ever seen in caves involve the scariest parts of The Goonies, Lord of the Rings and Huck Finn. So listen people... spoiler alert... someone always dies in the cave. It is a FACT. Not everyone is going to make it out alive.

At this point in my cave-fever-induced-irrational-out-loud-musings-about-how-movies-are-based-on-real life, my friend Stephen assured me that in the movies, the big black guy in the back always gets eaten first, so he figured I was pretty safe, since he was indeed a big black guy, and he was taking up the back.

Thank you Stephen, that is SO reassuring.
And then I saw bats less than a foot above my head. Blech. Shriek. Hurl. Gross. Eek.

I cannot take responsibility for anything that happened next.

I believe my exact words were: "Okay. That's it. I'm not kidding here people. I'm SO done."

But unfortunately for all my girly squeamishness, there was no other way out than onward through the mountain, so onward we went. I lost track of time and my reasons for living, but after what seemed like twelve eternities and an light-decade-eon later we arrived at the last stretch of the cave...

Did I mention that we were in a cave? With creepy crawly scary things that go "boo" in the night? And maybe dead bodies? And wet drippy things that fall on your head? And that the last stretch of the cave is a tunnel? Like, a really, really, small tunnel that you have to crawl through in which THINGS are guaranteed reach out and touch you? Eeewwwww.

I only recall begging and pleading for my life once, but the night-vision video on my friend Stephen's phone might testify otherwise. Just for the record, you would scream too if you had to put your hands down into unknown-cavernous-sub-terrainean-ground-like-substances-that-felt-like-mucky-wet-dirty- quicksand-and-belly-crawl-for-at-least-100-yards-to-save-your-own-life... as I obviously reckoned I was doing.

It was not fun. It was not pretty. It was not quiet. You COULD feel sorry for my companions, but they are the ones that got us into this whole mess.

I just figured that the faster I crawled and the louder I cried, whined and moaned about it, the sooner it would all be over.

The good news for you is that I lived to exaggerate blog about it.

This photo is brought to you by a fake-gritted-through-my-teeth smile, in which I am actually saying "Oh my gosh, I am never going hiking with these people ever again, EVER!" 

This, my friends, would be the exit to the cave. You can see why this is the exit instead of the entrance, because, clearly, no one in their right mind would ever agree to go in there! 

Ahhh, but after a few breaths of fresh air, a few long sighs of relief, and some shaky nervous laughter, I came to realize that I was fairly proud of myself for holding it together, and hanging in there like a true champ.

Well... I mean... Err...it probably depends on your definition of "holding it together."

I was just happy that I didn't pee in my pants.

It's the small things we need to appreciate in life people. The small things.

In retrospect, I am now able to say that we had a fantastic time. We shared some really good laughs, albeit most of them at my expense, but I would totally do it again. And really, after you conquer the cave there are some amazingly majestic views that I might never have seen otherwise, as clearly there is no way I would have ever done this on my own.

In the end, it was all worth it, and thanks to my sacrifice, you can enjoy the virtual views from the safe distance of your home computer, having never almost died in a cave. So, you're welcome.

Man, the things I do for you people...
Looking towards Simon's Town & The Cape of Good Hope 

 Looking across False Bay

Sommerset West & Helderberg Mountains

My only true friend on this journey...


And as for me? My pants are dry and I'm just happy to be here.

Read More 3 comments | Posted by Amy | edit post

3 comments

  1. Mindy S on August 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM

    You are indeed my hero. I DO NOT like caves, and I am pretty sure that my reactions/responses would have mirrored yours.

     
  2. Casey on August 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

    hilarious. my mother called & woke me to make sure i read this blog.

     
  3. Holly on August 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM

    how do I love you, let me count the ways --- this blog is definitely one of them! you crack me up. glad you made it out alive!!!

     


Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home

  • About:
      Supported by her home church, Brentwood Baptist in Nashville, TN, Amy moved across the world in 2011 and accepted a volunteer missionary nursing position with Living Hope in Cape Town, South Africa, where she works with impoverished people affected by HIV, TB, cancer and other life threatening illnesses. She went on to marry Steve in 2013, and in doing so has made South Africa her second home. She now considers herself to be in a long- term cross-cultural relationship, both in marriage and in ministry. Keep reading for stories from Living Hope and from life in South Africa. Thanks for reading along!
  • Contact Info:


    e-mail: nurseamyaaron@gmail.com

    Facebook:
    Amy Aaron
    Skype:
    amyhelms04

    To donate to my ministry:
    http://www.brentwoodmissions.com/

    Living Hope:
    http://www.livinghope.co.za/



    What Time Is It in South Africa?

    Blog Archive

    • ► 2014 (1)
      • ► August (1)
    • ► 2013 (5)
      • ► August (1)
      • ► June (2)
      • ► February (2)
    • ► 2012 (27)
      • ► November (1)
      • ► October (2)
      • ► September (3)
      • ► August (2)
      • ► July (4)
      • ► June (2)
      • ► May (2)
      • ► March (2)
      • ► February (6)
      • ► January (3)
    • ▼ 2011 (121)
      • ► December (2)
      • ► November (9)
      • ► October (7)
      • ► September (6)
      • ▼ August (6)
        • Busy!
        • -Thoughtful Thursdays-
        • -Women's Day 2011-
        • -Boomslang & Back-
        • -Photo of the Day-
        • -The Old Biscuit Mill-
      • ► July (11)
      • ► June (9)
      • ► May (13)
      • ► April (15)
      • ► March (17)
      • ► February (13)
      • ► January (13)
    • ► 2010 (5)
      • ► December (3)
      • ► November (2)

    Subscribe to my blog:

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright One day at a time.... All rights reserved.
    Blogger Templates | Free Wordpress Templates. presents HD TV Watch Futurama Online. Featured on Singapore Wedding Favors.
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top