• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

Humility: Part Two


Are you ever tempted to think you and Jesus are on good terms? Do you feel like you've done enough for Jesus today and you should rest and get a gold star for good behavior? Do you feel like you deserve to live life on spiritual cruise control?

Let me stop here and say, that if I ever think I'm doing well on my spiritual journey, someone please re-read Luke 17:7-10 to me. See below and read with caution:

Jesus said: “When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, ‘Come in and eat with me’? No, he says, ‘Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later.’ And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”

In my response to reading this scripture, alot of excuses come to mind. "But, Lord, I had a good attitude today at work. I worked as if it were unto you. I served the least of these. I kept my mouth in check. I didn't lose my temper. I resisted that temptation. I exhibited the fruits of the Spirit. I kept the Ten Commandments. Don't I "deserve" a break? Aren't you going to tell me "well done"?

"No? You're not? You said I was SUPPOSED to do all those things? You own me? You paid a price for my loyalty?"

The Official Translation of Amy Helms: God does NOT owe me or you ANYTHING. Anything I do for Him is a small repayment for His sacrifice for me. I need to realize that I am forever in God’s debt and understand that I still have work to do, no matter how long or hard you or I have been working for the Lord.

David Guzniak says, "This is why it is so important for Bible teachers to emphasize what the Bible itself emphasizes - what God has done for us. When we realize all that God has done for us in Jesus, we want to serve Him out of gratitude. When our hearts are right, we live and act as if we are happy to have the privilege of being allowed to serve God. We only think that we are better than others are when we look to man, not Jesus. Every Christian is a "super-Christian" in Jesus. Truly spiritually mature believers will not be proud or arrogant about their spiritual "level."'

Matthew Henry says: "Whatever we do in the service of Christ, we must be very humble, and not imagine that we can merit any favour at his hand. We are all God’s servants, and, as servants, are bound to do all we can for his honour. Our whole strength and our whole time are to be employed for him; for we are not our own, nor at our own disposal, but at our Master’s. As God’s servants, it becomes us to fill up our time with duty; we ought to make the end of one service the beginning of another. When we have been working for God, still we must be waiting on God, waiting on him continually. Our principal care here must be to do the duty, and leave it to our Master to give us the comfort of it, when and how he thinks fit. Christ was among his disciples as one that served, and came not, to be ministered unto, but to minister; witness his washing his disciples’ feet."

Paul says: If anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. (Galatians 6:3-4)

Whew. Stop and take that in for just a minute...

And then get back to the work He has for you.
Read More 1 Comment | Posted by Amy | edit post

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous on January 31, 2011 at 6:31 PM

    That verse in Luke kicks me in the face every stinkin time.

     


Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home

  • About:
      Supported by her home church, Brentwood Baptist in Nashville, TN, Amy moved across the world in 2011 and accepted a volunteer missionary nursing position with Living Hope in Cape Town, South Africa, where she works with impoverished people affected by HIV, TB, cancer and other life threatening illnesses. She went on to marry Steve in 2013, and in doing so has made South Africa her second home. She now considers herself to be in a long- term cross-cultural relationship, both in marriage and in ministry. Keep reading for stories from Living Hope and from life in South Africa. Thanks for reading along!
  • Contact Info:


    e-mail: nurseamyaaron@gmail.com

    Facebook:
    Amy Aaron
    Skype:
    amyhelms04

    To donate to my ministry:
    http://www.brentwoodmissions.com/

    Living Hope:
    http://www.livinghope.co.za/



    What Time Is It in South Africa?

    Blog Archive

    • ► 2014 (1)
      • ► August (1)
    • ► 2013 (5)
      • ► August (1)
      • ► June (2)
      • ► February (2)
    • ► 2012 (27)
      • ► November (1)
      • ► October (2)
      • ► September (3)
      • ► August (2)
      • ► July (4)
      • ► June (2)
      • ► May (2)
      • ► March (2)
      • ► February (6)
      • ► January (3)
    • ▼ 2011 (121)
      • ► December (2)
      • ► November (9)
      • ► October (7)
      • ► September (6)
      • ► August (6)
      • ► July (11)
      • ► June (9)
      • ► May (13)
      • ► April (15)
      • ► March (17)
      • ► February (13)
      • ▼ January (13)
        • Humility: Part Two
        • Humility: Part One
        • Just do it already...
        • Interview with Mike Glen
        • The Things I'm Taking With Me...
        • I love you and...
        • The Things I'm Saying Goodbye to....
        • Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
        • MLK
        • What do I want out of this experience?
        • Why exactly are you doing this?
        • Exactly what I needed to hear...
        • I would like to thank the Academy...
    • ► 2010 (5)
      • ► December (3)
      • ► November (2)

    Subscribe to my blog:

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright One day at a time.... All rights reserved.
    Blogger Templates | Free Wordpress Templates. presents HD TV Watch Futurama Online. Featured on Singapore Wedding Favors.
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top