• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

Changing the World


I've been here almost eight weeks now. Relatively a short time, but longer than I've ever lived in a foreign country as a missionary before, and longer than any other mission journey I've taken. 

If there is one thing that has surprised me, I would say that working here feels much differently than I thought it would. Having done extensive research prior to moving here, I thought I had a good grasp on what goes on in the business of changing the world...I thought it was a simple equation. Awareness (on my part) + Action (on my part) = Solution (on their part). You can see the problem with that now, can't you? Me too. As it turns out, books, documentaries, blogs and NGO websites only give a partial picture of the stories lived out here. Really, even the best first-hand accounts can only give you just a brief snapshot of the whole entirety.

It's popular right now to be "into" global poverty iniatives. The message has finally been told on the world stage and the world has, in many ways, taken notice of the issues that countries like South Africa face. The result of global attention is that tension is created somewhere between awareness and action. There is space between knowing what the problem is and the long journey to the solution. Whenever you read about humanitrians crisis such as lack of clean water, lack of access to sanitation or lack of healthcare there is a strong sense of impending urgency. Everything is a "must act now" sort of message. The rationale behind this urgent message, is that mundane everyday life activites don't motivate people to get up off the couch and change their lives. Most people wait for the "wake-up call" of something serious happening before they change. And people working in the "change" business have to capitalize on the "wake-up-call" moments in order to get anything done. 

Wake-up-call moments are good. They shake up our normalcy. They break bad habits. They inspire greatness. They make for good movies. But as it turns out, non-profit/humanitarian work is more like the work that comes after the wake-up-call. Like a heart attack that makes you decide to join the gym. The wake-up-call is over and now the hard work of doing something every single day begins. The everyday actions that lead to change aren't exactly dramatic, but the truth of life is that it's our small choices everyday that ultimately lead to victorious outcomes. It takes a long time to walk out of poverty. It takes a long time to walk out of a broken past. It's takes a long time to walk out of spiritual devastation. Changing someone's life, including my own, literally requires walking beside them everyday for a lifetime. It's a long road filled with discipline, prayer, accountability, and sacrifice. I'm learning that it's a road I know very little about. And here I was thinking that my job here was to hand out road maps and hang up signs that point in the right direction...

But I do know this... We are on the right road. It's long and it's sometimes slow-going and sometimes I'm so lost it's not funny, but I'm on it and I get to walk a little everyday. It's a long term goal. It won't be accomplished in 8 weeks, or 8 months or 80 years. And when I look around me, I do see an urgent need... but it's not for the people we serve. It's for us. You. Me. An urgent need for faithfulness. An urgent need for obedience. An urgent need for prayer. An urgent need to be who it is that God created us to be. It's the reason that we are all on earth to begin with...to walk beside one another because our lives depend on all of us going the right way together. They are counting on me, and I on them, to walk forward. Everyone of us holds up a sign along the way and bears witness to something. Everyone of our actions is a testimony that makes a roadmap. Someone is always watching you and I on the road, and we are always watching someone else. My testimony on this road is that Jesus Christ alone changes hearts. My witness is that if Jesus Christ isn't the answer, there is no answer. The only sign I have to hold is the one that lifts high the name of someone other than myself, Christ. "When I am lifted up, I will draw all people to me." John 12:32

So here's my new equation for changing the world: Curtail the devastating effects of poverty through all means possible + Offer the healing of Jesus Christ for all = Walk forward together as whole people towards eternity.

Thanks for walking with me. I may need you sooner rather than later to lift high your sign and point me in the right direction. 
Read More 2 comments | Posted by Amy | edit post

2 comments

  1. jonbosh on May 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM

    Amy, Thanks so much for you insight, your words of wisdom and your honesty. Lets face it, God is using you not only to reach those in South Africa but to help inspire those of us back here in the States. I love that we are friends :)

     
  2. Amy on May 5, 2011 at 3:30 AM

    Thanks Jon!

     


Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home

  • About:
      Supported by her home church, Brentwood Baptist in Nashville, TN, Amy moved across the world in 2011 and accepted a volunteer missionary nursing position with Living Hope in Cape Town, South Africa, where she works with impoverished people affected by HIV, TB, cancer and other life threatening illnesses. She went on to marry Steve in 2013, and in doing so has made South Africa her second home. She now considers herself to be in a long- term cross-cultural relationship, both in marriage and in ministry. Keep reading for stories from Living Hope and from life in South Africa. Thanks for reading along!
  • Contact Info:


    e-mail: nurseamyaaron@gmail.com

    Facebook:
    Amy Aaron
    Skype:
    amyhelms04

    To donate to my ministry:
    http://www.brentwoodmissions.com/

    Living Hope:
    http://www.livinghope.co.za/



    What Time Is It in South Africa?

    Blog Archive

    • ► 2014 (1)
      • ► August (1)
    • ► 2013 (5)
      • ► August (1)
      • ► June (2)
      • ► February (2)
    • ► 2012 (27)
      • ► November (1)
      • ► October (2)
      • ► September (3)
      • ► August (2)
      • ► July (4)
      • ► June (2)
      • ► May (2)
      • ► March (2)
      • ► February (6)
      • ► January (3)
    • ▼ 2011 (121)
      • ► December (2)
      • ► November (9)
      • ► October (7)
      • ► September (6)
      • ► August (6)
      • ► July (11)
      • ► June (9)
      • ▼ May (13)
        • -Nadine-
        • A New Normal
        • ~Package Instructions~
        • -Thoughtful Thursdays-
        • Open Day!
        • Sharon? Sharon Who?
        • It's my blog...
        • Sometimes it's the little things...
        • ~Things I'm Into These Days~
        • ~Tennessee~
        • April
        • ~Photo of the Day~
        • Changing the World
      • ► April (15)
      • ► March (17)
      • ► February (13)
      • ► January (13)
    • ► 2010 (5)
      • ► December (3)
      • ► November (2)

    Subscribe to my blog:

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright One day at a time.... All rights reserved.
    Blogger Templates | Free Wordpress Templates. presents HD TV Watch Futurama Online. Featured on Singapore Wedding Favors.
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top